Friday, September 03, 2004

The First Gasp

Damn. So I finally caved. Here's my blog... and now for the first time, my bitching and musing will not only be confined to the select few (unfortunates?) that hear them, but will be published for the entire english-reading world to see.

I guess this is just a quick and easy way to let my many awesome friends in the US of A to know wassup. That's certainly a good enough reason. And also it might help me to bitch electronically so I can maintain my composure at work... heh.

Anyhow, that week with #2 was amazing, even though it pretty much broke the bank for me. It's such a bitch to have fun all the time without a job, because that inevitably comes with high monetary costs. And even now when I do have a job, I'm still getting paid peanuts. But more on that later.

After that I took a break of 2 weeks or so before starting my job in one of the Big Two in Singapore broadcasting. I'm apparently an "assistant director", but the job description here includes location scout, transportation, getting big props, art crew, etc... It never ends. I've been working 14 hour days, 5 days a week. It seems to be the norm in my company at least. Fuckers. It's only my first week, and I can't recall having ever yearned for a weekend that much. Actually I'm lying, I was pretty desperate for the weekend to roll around during my army days. But that was a long time ago. That's one of the good things about NU, at least for me, there not really being a difference between a weekend and a weekday.

I really should be getting to bed, but there's just a quick note on dreams... It's weird, but I've probably dreamed more this week than I've had in the past couple years. Maybe it's just that I've been waking up in the middle of my regular sleep cycle, and so can remember them better. I dunno... the human mind is a bizarre thing, and mine is more bizarre than most.

One weird one that I particularly remember involves Thomas. Some of you know him as the kid actor I had in my directing project. Well, for some reason, in my dream he was my neighbor, and he lived in the same apartment building as I do in Singapore. And I don't think he was my kid actor, he was just this kid that I watched grow up and was pretty close to. He was maybe a year or two older in my dream than in real life... I was about to go on a long trip somewhere indefinite, and he was real beat up about it. I remember hugging him and consoling him for a long time before I was about to leave, but he just kept clinging on... and then reality intruded and I consciously thought: "I'm having a dream. This is my kid actor." Then I woke up and it was time to go to work.

Yeah. So that's it. Kinda weird. Thomas isn't half as needy in real life. But not that I don't miss the kid. He was real cool to have around set and a great kid all-around. I wonder how he's doing in Colorado/LA/wherever the hell he is...

But enough. I still have a 7am calltime tomorrow, and it's almost midnight now.

Later......

2 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, September 03, 2004, Blogger nate said...

jesus christ...sounds like a bum deal.

fuck work, that's what we non-working people (read: dumb people who take four years to graduate) say.

hope that 14 hour day schedule doesn't keep up - that can't be good for sanity.

miguel and i are getting through the animation - i've spent the last four days just pounding through scanning, photoshopping and in the end videoizing (not sure what to call this element).

as for everything else, the peeps around here are coming soon and that's rather scary as both kevin and jon lefko are looking my way for editing. hopefully animation can make one last grasp before the year starts and i can get a minute or two together...(fingers CROSSED)

take care, will write more later,
nate

 
At 12:12 AM, September 07, 2004, Blogger cinewhore said...

I went into the editing room today. Looking at the screens, I actually YEARNED to cut something... Ahhh...

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home