Monday, September 06, 2004

Masturbation and Harry Potter

I bet that got your attention.

Bah. I've been wanting to post for the past couple days, but always felt too damn tired. Well, you try working 14 fuckin' hours a day in the sun. Anyhoo, lotsa stuff to spew.

Friday: Finally got into some hard rockin' action. We had a human torch and a burning set on location today. Pretty fuckin' cool. The poor guy was set on fire over five times, definitely a no-no on a Hollywood set - the damn unions would come down so hard. All this action got me thinking: If they can set aside some of the (over S$20 million) profit they made last year (according to a company memo) to pay the crew and staff better, they might actually get better results! DAMN! Who ever heard of that? What a novel idea! (Who the hell sends out these memos anyway? Don't they think we'll get more and more disgruntled when we compare that kinda absurd amount to our meagre wages?)

Spent most of Saturday bumming around Orchard Road (which hopefully #2 remembers fondly) and bingeing on Erdinger. Tasty.

Had a nice long chat with Jingli... over said Erdinger. He's a really great kid (I use "kid" in the general, 20-and-below kind of sense)... It's kinda scary to hear what child actors face, especially the ones that make it big. I really hope Thomas knows what he's getting himself into, if he ever makes it to the top. Then again, his intensely common-sensical mom will slap some Polish sense into his little head should he get too big for his boots, and I'm sure she'll take on any psycho fan with no problem. Still, it makes one wonder how many of these kids are actually in the biz out of their own volition... it's a scary world out there, especially if you're a kid celeb.

Hmm, I've tried to write that previous paragraph so anyone can kinda guess what I'm talking about, which was a little tough. Goddamn exposition.

My ass is really sore now after fucking myself with a hard bicycle seat for almost six hours today. Took a bike ride around an offshore island, Pulau Ubin, looking for locations and boats to shoot in/with. Since I hadn't been there before, it was kinda cool. However, even though it is much less urban than mainland Singapore (HA, "mainland"... it's still a little fucking island), it's no less commercial. You can see signs with "ICE COLD DRINKS" in like half the houses that you pass. And with all the bike tracks and paved trails... I dunno, it was a little disappointing. However, I did find a nice house, and the owner even has boats. He's so nice he's even willing to let us shoot a rape/manslaughter scene there. We'll see what the production manager says though...

I'm getting more than a little pissed with the traditional asian thing of only moving out after you get married crap. I need my own fucking space, dammit. Living with parents is like having someone read the paper over your shoulder constantly - it doesn't matter if they make noise or not, their very presence is felt, and it's intensely annoying. And I mean, what's the point of trading one form of bondage for another? Once I find some roommates, I'm moving the fuck out. It doesn't help that my brother took over my entire living space while I was gone. When I came back, I had to live out of my fucking suitcase for a while. That's just wrong. His shit is everywhere, and I have no room for mine. That just makes my entire living situation almost unbearable. Yet daddy still tries to guilt-trip me, making it seem like sacrilege to even entertain the thought of moving out. C'mon, I've lived on my own for three years, you should've been used to that by now.

I should stop whining. It makes me sound like a little bitch.

Had another long chat with a friend and we came to the conclusion that Christianity is bullshit. But Christians are fucking scary. I expounded on why I hated The Passion. And also on the masturbatory elements in Harry Potter 3's opening sequence (I'm still very proud I saw that reading). She's going to send me a link to a 2-minute filmmaking contest. That sounds kinda cool. We'll see.

In the meantime, I see outsidebowie has a new post from #2. Poor #1... good luck with the animation.

Work beckons again in the morrow. Goodnight everyone.