Saturday, April 23, 2005

Fallout

It's been almost three weeks since I returned from vacation, and I'm still feeling the fallout from it, and will be for quite a while yet.

First, the total costs came up to about S$10,000 for me. It's a rough estimate, but I think it's pretty accurate. A good portion of that is an advance from my dad, and I think I've returned him about 10-20% as of now. I'll get some of that back from Jingli, but it'll take time, and I'm still waiting on ATA for a possible refund. Still, a pretty substantial bit remains. However, there's no hurry, at least not on an overt level.

Oh yes, and the costs include my mobile phone charges, which were atrocious. I hate US telcos, they're pure evil. My charges came up to be S$766.61 (about US$465), leaving any previous records way back in the dust. A combination of factors led to this amazing result.

One: Stupidity, or, forgetting to use the SmartRoam option. Jingli made a bunch of calls lasting a total of around 20 minutes back to Singapore. Cost using SmartRoam: around S$15. I made one call lasting 15 minutes to Singapore. Cost using regular US roaming rates: S$75. A 45 second call to Singapore that wasn't answered cost me S$4.50, and so on. Rates to US numbers weren't much better.

Two: The fact that they start charging from the second the phone starts ringing. A huge portion of the bill was due to unanswered calls.

Three: People who don't answer their phone. I think that one's pretty self-explanatory.

Four: Ridiculously high US per-minute roaming charges. Ditto.

Anyway, that's gonna be a real bitch to pay off, considering my average account balance at the end of the month is usually only about S$200. I was beyond expletives for a good while when I received the bill. Now I'm better.

Paying for this trip is kinda like radioactive fallout from a nuclear bomb, it just keeps on going and going and screwing with things for a good while afterwards...

On a happier note, I just got a pay increment and a bonus. It's kinda pathetic, and will barely cover the price of my domestic US flight, but it's better than nothing. I was also told that they normally don't give newcomers bonuses and increments, so I'm supposedly rather privileged already.

I need more money, quick. Donations will be greatly appreciated.