Thursday, June 23, 2005

Wedding Thoughts

Handshake

I went to an ex-classmate's wedding almost a month ago. It was almost right after I almost-shaved my head.

No offense meant towards her, but man, I fucking hate weddings. Seriously. No offense. I'm just referring to weddings in general.

I hate that most of them are just so cliché-ridden and lame, that everyone's lazy and doesn't bother coming up with interesting, fun stuff. It's an event, and the purpose of an event is to entertain. Self-indulgent shit like showing your wedding pictures is just not going to cut it. Neither is crappy home video footage of the morning's events or the church service.

Why not a documentary involving candid interviews of the couple's families and friends? Imagine what funny anecdotes will be told, what dark secrets will be spilled, how many genuine, touching moments there can be.

And while you're at it, perhaps there could be performances by friends and family. Or hired performers like a band or standup comedy. Belly dancers. Martial artists. Fucking Cirque du Soleil. Hell, you're only limited by your budget. Remember, you want everyone to remember your big day forever, and not for how it was the most boring affair they ever attended. You want to be the talk of the office water cooler for years after, to have the wedding that everyone's inspired by, to be the final word in matrimonial celebrations.

Another thing I hate: what's with the over-dramatic entrance by the waiters for the first dish? If I have to sit through another instance of waiters strutting through darkened rooms holding candle-lit plates aloft to the strains of The Final Countdown, I will fucking kill someone.

If you wanna do that, how about having them rappel down from the ceiling a la Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible?

Drunk relatives should be a must at every wedding. You really feel their absence, it's just so much more boring without them. Fistfights are a bonus.

I also dislike giving red packets, mainly because I have so little money most of the time.

And finally, the thing I hate most about weddings is that they remind me of how pathetic my dating life is.

Anyway, I do have one thing I enjoy about weddings. They're a good excuse to dress up, and I like that, as you can see:

SS Wedding Group

Mirror Images

Yes, I am wearing the coat I got from the Niteskool shoot.

Finally, even though I maintain throughout this post that I hate weddings, I still wish her happiness always.

5 Comments:

At 2:34 AM, June 23, 2005, Blogger dark said...

Hey man I totally agree with you! What's with the waiters and the candles and the final countdown!!! Countdown to what!? haha and yes whats so interesting abt the what happened in the morning??? that video should be kept at home n be played at their 20th anniversay or whatsoever!
anyway I am Jianwei juz in case u r wondering

 
At 8:13 AM, June 23, 2005, Blogger jingli K said...

I'll be looking forward to attend your wedding then...Be sure it will be the talk of the town.

 
At 11:14 AM, June 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i so agree with jingli! LOL

will you be the drunk one at my wedding dinner next time or maybe i shldnt invite you if i'm having such boring banquet? hehe

-ww

 
At 1:15 PM, June 23, 2005, Blogger Remus Lupin said...

I do agree some creativity is necessary. the most recent weddin i went to was pretty good, minus the ritualistic part.They had an ex classmate who recited poetry as wedding wishes, and two little cousins that played the violins. On top of it,they've got a fren to cook up some long sobbing touching crap about their union. we're like DUH!but its creative isnt it?

 
At 12:09 AM, June 24, 2005, Blogger merf said...

dislike attending wedding dinners too. pay money to eat a dinner that last for 3hrs.

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home