Sunday, February 18, 2007

I Hate Chinese New Year... Kinda

So all seems to be going well. I just sent in my application for On the Lot, even thought the chances of being selected are pretty much zero, and the last few nights were fun. Except, though, that Chinese New Year is just around the corner. Well, tomorrow, to be precise.

I don't feel any real affinity for Chinese New Year. Sure, it's meant to be joyful and all that, and I do enjoy the hanging out with friends and mahjong. But too much of it is a drag for it to be all that fun.

Like Chinatown around this period is just annoying. Loud music with lots of cymbals and drums blast everywhere, and the crowds are just freaking insane. That's why I tend to stay out of the area during this period. Too bad I had to go to a meeting there yesterday, and ended up waiting an hour for a cab, and late for several other meetings as a result.

And yes, about cabs. They just seem to disappear around this time of year, don't they? Just waiting to pick up a booking and get S$ 4.00 more. Why, I've seen them drop a customer off at a taxi stand, then immediately pick up a call booking even though there was a huge line right at the stand.

The incessant "joyful" music gets on my nerves as well. If you want to play them to put people in the mood, sure, I get that. In malls, in restaurants, fine. But I really don't like hearing drums and cymbals and irritating screechy kids insisting I have a happy new year when I'm shopping for clothes or anything else that requires a decision-making process.

And since we're talking about shopping, let me just say that the discounts offered now suck in comparison to the post-Christmas shopping season last year. Which is why I never buy anything around this time of year now.

Since my mom made me start giving out ang pows to my grandparents, the new year just hasn't been the same, financially. I'm happy if I don't make a bloody loss, like I did the year I started giving them out and was over-estimating everyone else's generosity. Fingers crossed this year.

But hey, I'm a sucker for the food. I guess the only food I haven't stuffed my face with this year is bak kwa (barbequed pork slices). Anyone have some? Besides that, since my relatives all don't gamble, I'm left with the dry, boring option of visiting their homes only to zone out on the couch and watch fucking reruns on TV that I'd have no interest in even if they weren't reruns.

How can I forget the traditional spring cleaning? I'm sitting here typing in the middle of the war zone that's my room (I tend to let things lie where they fall for a week or two before doing anything about them), I need to change the sheets that I think I've been using since Christmas (to whom it's concerned: I know because the salsa stains are still there), I should probably do some dusting since I can write essays on the top of my shelves with a finger, and I have about 5 hours to do all that before the reunion dinner. I really should start soon.

Lest you say I'm a spoilsport, I still like the notion of celebrating new year twice in any given year. If you've been fucking up the first month or so, hey, there's still another chance for resolutions.

So, happy new year to all.