Friday, March 02, 2007

Help

It really doesn't pay to be helpful, as I recently found out. My helpfulness not only led to me being taken for granted, it also gave me a nice stab in the back. Maybe I should correct myself - it doesn't pay to be helpful at work, to people who don't deserve it.

R, who wielded considerable power, came to me and asked if I'd help him out - he desperately needed a writer, just for two scripts. He assured me it was an easy job, as all research had been done already. I made it clear to him that I had prior commitments, but would be glad to lend a hand if necessary.

He put me in touch with the person in charge of the project, J. As she was briefing me, she prattled on and on, and I began to get the sinking feeling that I was in for more than I bargained for. True enough, not only did she expect scripts, she also expected me to shoulder more responsibilities (responsibilities which sounded ridiculous to me), and hence more time and effort - things which I just could not spare.

I voiced my problem to her, and she brushed it off casually. She probably thought that everything would eventually work out in her favor. I pointed out that there were dates that clashed directly. She didn't say anything, probably thinking R would back her up.

The next day, I got worried, and sent out an email to all concerned, including my supervisors, who, as I expected, had not gotten wind of this request at all. I was told to wait for R's take on things. A few days passed, and as the date crept ever closer, I got more worried. I wasn't going to take responsibility for something that wasn't my problem to begin with.

So I sent out another email, clarifying my stand and saying that I would go ahead with my proposed solution if no one got back to me - which was to stick to my prior commitments and basically do nothing more for R than churn out two scripts for J.

R finally returned from his leave yesterday, and immediately spoke to J. Now, she probably said something negative about me to him, for his next email ended like this:
As you are only involved in the first 2 eps, I hope you will give your best during this period.
Oh, the pain of knowing how to read in-between the lines!

Seriously, it was completely uncalled for. I'd made myself clear that I wasn't able to commit completely. If you weren't listening properly, it's your fault, not mine. It's not my fault I can't give 100% to you, it's a fact that 80% is already taken up by another.

My colleague suggested that I write an email praising them while being self-deprecating. He said this would get the producer (who's not J) in trouble. "Right now either you die, or she does. What do you want?" he asked. The choice was clear.

It scares me that I would most probably go over to that department come April. I'm not even in there yet and I've already been backstabbed once.

What's wrong with these people? Don't they understand the meaning of "help"? Help doesn't mean I'm obligated to do it for you, it means I'm doing it out of goodwill. It means that you don't have a right to shove unwanted responsibilities and demands upon me. It means that you don't have a right to complain that I'm not doing my fair share of work when really, you're not part of my fair share at all. It means you fucking take what you get. Beggars can't be choosers. It means you stop being fucking lazy and expecting someone completely not involved to come in and do your job for you, especially when you're drawing multiple times his salary. It means I don't have to justify my actions and choices, especially not to you.

It means shut the fuck up. I'm done "helping".