Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Pretty Pictures

Some of you may know that I took part in this little photographic escapade called Eye é City with Kiwi and Yam. We spent the last day of 2004 triapsing around this little isle taking pictures, basically, which was a helluva lot of fun and landed us some real gems.

We found an old housing estate in Lim Chu Kang which the SAF had taken over for military training purposes, and wandered all over the buildings which were pretty much empty shells. It felt almost unreal, and you had to tread with a certain reverence, like you were in a ghost town. Chills would run up my spine when I thought about the fact that an entire neighborhood once lived there, and people lived out the highs and lows of their lives in the very buildings I trod in. The same buildings that were now nothing but bare concrete husks, with the occasional empty beer bottle from trespassing migrant laborers.

My favorite one is from there:

Window & Door

And I really like this one too:

Ray of Light

You can tell I really have a thing for shooting through doors and windows.

Tree at End of Stairs

My apologies if they look too dark on certain computers. I can't help it if everyone doesn't have a Mac...

The next two were taken at a jetty at Lim Chu Kang.

Boats at LCK

LCK Jetty

I love the fact that the dark clouds in the sky would've made for a pretty shitty color picture, but they just look so damn cool in black and white. I should shoot in B&W more. It tends to lend a timeless quality to things.

This was at the Chinese Cemetary in Choa Chu Kang. Yes, here in Singapore our cemetaries are racist.

Tree Tunnel

I also love the last two, for different reasons. The first I love because it's the best "street" picture I've ever taken.

Marshall Road

And this second one I love because of all the shadows, and the low angle of the light source, a bare fluorescent tube, which makes everything look so damn mysterious and cool. I also think it's pretty ballsy to submit a picture which is mostly just pure black. OK, maybe not pure black. If you have a good monitor you'll be able to see some detail in the shadows. We'll see what the judges think though.

Wheelbarrow

On another note, I saw Alexander today. But that's a story for another post, since it's now two in the morning.

6 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, January 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! can i rip it off and post it on mine? tot tat day kept raining leh...

-ww

 
At 10:16 AM, January 04, 2005, Blogger cinewhore said...

Go ahead

 
At 10:25 AM, January 04, 2005, Blogger Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

u know, i have a whole series of doors and windows photos. i love shooting through doors and windows or just at them. i like it cos you always wonder whats behind a door or a window. the element of mystery.

great pics, btw.

 
At 7:47 PM, January 04, 2005, Blogger jingli K said...

Nice pics. Monochrome is just so cool.

 
At 9:25 PM, January 04, 2005, Blogger cinewhore said...

Gracias.

 
At 3:29 PM, January 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey!

really like the shot with the trees lining up against the road... is it taken at a cemetery? really nice! hahaha luckily no orbs in the pic man...

Brenda

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home