Friday, May 06, 2005

Random Things That Annoyed Me

I was at a petrol station (or gas station, for you Yankees) the other night with my father. Usually they have little old men who leap right up and fill your tank for you while you saunter off to pay inside the store. None of the pump-it-yourself bullshit like in the States - here we want to milk every dollar out of you imaginable, and what better way to do it than to force you to pay in the store and then try to tempt you with great deals on chocolates and crap?

So I grab the nozzle and do the deed myself. Except the damn spring mechanism keeps springing back, like the tank was already full. Now my dad has been known to be ridiculously paranoid about these things, so I ask, "You sure your tank was empty?" I try it a couple times more, before I give up, saying, "The bloody thing's broken."

At this point in time, my dear father, who's always had a penchant for putting down members of the family as a force of habit (I really don't know why, perhaps it makes him feel good about himself), spots a little old employee who comes running up.

"Come quick! My son doesn't know how to pump petrol!" he yells at the old geezer.

Of course, that pissed me off royally. Three years in the States and you think I don't know how to pump gas? What am I, retarded?

Is it an Asian thing, that you have to be humble, and perhaps even be overly-humble on your family's behalf? Or is it just him? Does it really feel that good to insult your own offspring? I dunno, but he seems to leap on any opportunity to do so.

What else? Oh, work is pissing me off, but more on that in a later post.

And this amused me more than it annoyed me. At a hawker centre, someone was wearing a T-shirt that said:

"Love That Is Endless Has No End"

My, you don't say.