Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Da Vinci Code, Like, Totally Rawks!!!

Because of all the hype surrounding the upcoming movie, my 16 year-old cousin has started reading The Da Vinci Code. It's the first novel (well, anything over 200 pages, really) he's ever read in his life. It's scary, but I have a feeling a large proportion of Singaporeans are like him, and may never pick up a book as long as they live.

While it may not be a great novel, it's certainly good blockbuster entertainment and travel reading. And if it actually starts someone on reading, then I say, bring it on. It may not be "Literature", but it's certainly proved its merit to me.

He also showed me a little magazine-type flyer that was handed to him at an MRT station. It's printed by some Christian organization concerned that readers and viewers would be confused by the book regarding matters of faith. How insulting is that?

You know, if you're worried that your religion will be affected negatively by a book or movie, then I'm of the opinion that it's a reflection of your own lack of faith, and that deep down inside you probably recognize that your so-called religion is a bunch of fetid bullshit to begin with. If your religion is really that strong and unshakeable, then you shouldn't be worried at all. Silly insecure little shits.

The boy aims to finish it before he watches the movie. He just turned 16 and is excited to go to his first official NC-16 movie. I promised to bring him next week. Let's see if he's up to the task.

And if he ever wants to read anything else, I told him, just ask. I've got The Satanic Verses all ready and waiting.