Sunday, August 06, 2006

All By Myself II

I came upon this song today, and didn't really feel anything much for it then. After all, it's just a typical syrupy lovelorn pop song, right?

When I was young, I never needed anyone.
And making love was just for fun.
Those days are gone.

Sitting outside just now, smoking a cigarette, I got it.

Living alone, I think of all the friends I've known.
But when I dial the telephone, nobody's home.

I go out with acquaintances, friends, good friends, best friends, brothers. And I enjoy myself, typically. Sometimes I have a blah time, sometimes a good time, sometimes a great time, and sometimes a fantastic time. But at the end of the day, I still end up smoking outside. Alone.

Isn't it funny how some songs just hit you when you get to a certain age, or just happen to be, I dunno, in the right frame of mind for them?

Hard to be sure, sometimes I feel so insecure.
And love so distant and obscure, remains the cure.

True, the lyrics are trite and corny. But sometimes corn contains at least a kernel of truth (sorry, I couldn't resist).

All by myself, don't wanna be all by myself anymore.
All by myself, don't wanna live all by myself anymore.

Sometimes all you want is to come home to someone. Right now, that sounds nice.

5 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, August 06, 2006, Blogger Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

dude, that song is for suicidals!

but i like it, especially when Eric Carmen sings it, man, the loneliness and solitude !!!

 
At 2:05 AM, August 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't agree more. i dun like growing up/ older. i really dun.

There's alot of wisdom in some of those golden classics. One may have sang it at ktv at his teenage years...only to find out wat the lyricist was trying to say when the time comes. Eeee...i tink this comes when one is 'grows older'.

btw, i juz had the same tots on Saturday...

 
At 3:34 AM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Dewei said...

Sure it sounds good - once in a awhile esp when there's no one there. But it doesn't come easy does it?

 
At 11:27 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Cameron said...

are you aware that there's a scene in Bridget Jones' Diary that is almost an exact mirror of this blog post?

 
At 12:06 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger cinewhore said...

Now that you mention it, I do remember. Spooky.

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home