Monday, July 23, 2007

Gone in 30 Seconds

Some fucker stole my card holder tonight. It was brand new, a cool leather Renoma one with a picture of a goat-headed man on it. Inside I had all of the various discount and membership cards I held, such as Safra, Kinokuniya, etc. The most prized possession in that was, of course, the Golden Village VIP card that I'd won.

And all that is gone.

I was buying tickets for a movie (Paprika, which turned out to be great, but that's for another post), and had taken the card holder out to use my Cathay E2Max card. After the whole transaction was concluded, I got my credit card, receipt, etc. back and promptly walked off to a nearby counter to put my stuff away. When I got to the E2Max card, I realized that I'd left my card holder behind at the box office.

The time elapsed had been less than 30 seconds. But it was gone, just like that. Probably taken by the guy in line behind me, but I didn't think to look at his face. I mean, who looks at the people around them when they're in line, right?

I'd rather have lost all my credit cards than the GV card, since I don't even know if it's replaceable. Fuck. Counter staff were completely unable to help, besides making me fill out a form.

You know what the worst thing is? Looking around me and realizing that the thief who took my stuff was in the same room, but not having any authority to search anyone. That is helplessness, powerlessness and impotency all rolled up together in a bitter cocktail.

Addendum:
All the cards were eventually replaceable, even the GV one. I just have to wait one whole fucking month for it. That's a month of movies I actually have to pay for now. Sigh.