Saturday, September 11, 2004

The Philistine

Read an article today in the Straits Times that just completely pissed me off.

A local hack "filmmaker" had the audacity to start a scriptwriting course. Here are some choice quotes...

There are too many people making artistic films here.

(And that's bad because...?)
Translation: I can't understand any of them.

I think it's important to make films which a lot of people can understand and enjoy. And to do that, you need to learn how to strengthen your writing skills and add depth to your concepts.

Translation: Lowest Common Denominator is vitally important, as it's where I made all of my money from. I also speak in oxymorons because there is no depth inherent in catering to the lowest common denominator, and additionally none of my movies have ever had any hint of such depth to them.

I mean, Jesus motherfucking Christ.

And the fact that he's charging hundreds of dollars for this angers me. But not as much as the fact that there will probably be losers falling over themselves to sign up for said course.

What's even more laughable is that one of his major accomplishments is stealing a much-loved film from a Middle-Eastern country and completely fucking it up. It's amazing how neorealism can be transformed into an inept political satire in the clumsy hands of the wrong people. A reviewer on imdb.com has this to say about him: "Subtlety is an art, which he lacks immeasurably".

All this seems to be in support of my theory that in order for local film and TV to progress significantly, we have to wait for the older, less educated generation to die off. It may sound cruel, but I believe in it, at least at this point in time. This is a uniquely asian phenomenon, I suppose... Or perhaps in recently-established nations. I guess Australia must've been the same in its early days, huh?

I guess all I can do now is bide my time... and try to get more involved in local film (At least the more decent ones). Which might be a little tough, considering I know no one.

On a related note, sometimes I wish I was doing student film still. Those who are still doing that, you have no idea how lucky you are, to be working with people who all have a passion for what they're doing. When you work for a corporation, too often you find crew and "creative personnel" who have been worn down by the system, or who didn't give a shit in the first place. They treat it like a job, and they just don't care anymore. When you have people who want to stop shooting just because you're running an hour over... I dunno. I guess that's acceptable in the real world, but to my (still) idealistic mind, it's harsh.

Welcome to the real world, I guess. It will fuck your shit up.

5 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, September 13, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:53 PM, September 13, 2004, Blogger cinewhore said...

Nah, I've got too much on my hands as it is. Besides, that's run by J-Team, his production company, which is entirely separate from mine. If the latter can be compared to a common whore, then his company is like a cheap, syphilis-infected ladyboy who roams the back alleys of Patpong giving blowjobs in exchange for a cigarette.

I really, really like that comparison.

 
At 12:02 AM, September 14, 2004, Blogger cinewhore said...

And I'd appreciate if in future comments, you leave out crucial bits of identifying information... After all, there's a reason why my profile here is so skimpy on detail. In 2 consecutive comments you have put my surname and company on display...

 
At 12:06 AM, September 14, 2004, Blogger cinewhore said...

I've deleted the first comment, and edited it to be a little more ambiguous. Here it is:

keep ur fingers crossed that (your company) wun ask u to help out with his course...haha!

--ww

 
At 6:52 AM, September 14, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm.... maybe u wanna remove ur location Spore as well? haha

-ww

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home