Thursday, January 27, 2005

Got Head?

I was going to see Abandoned today, which was showing at Golden Theatre, supposedly (Yes, that Golden Theatre). At least, it was still showing yesterday. I rushed through my paperwork for my upcoming shoot as fast as I could, finished up a whole bunch and rushed around giving them to various departments. This was complicated by the fact that I'd sprained my ankle in the afternoon walking out of the pantry onto a nice carpeted floor with no bumps or depressions. What can I say, I have weak ankles.

I couldn't find any listings in the papers, so I assumed they were showing the same things. But when I got to the theatre, I realized it was Thursday, and that they'd already changed their movies. Fuck. Well, I was already there, and had already paid for parking, so I just randomly picked Head-On, a movie that I seemed to have heard of and went in, hoping it wouldn't be shit.

And, well, also hoping there wouldn't be a masturbating old man behind me.

Guess what? It wasn't shit. It happened to be the winner of the 2004 Berlin Film Festival. But then it wasn't amazing either. It was just decent, I suppose. The most surprising thing was, for me, how it managed to have two characters that I didn't give a fuck about in the beginning become two characters I actually cared about in the end. Seriously, these were annoying assholes with nothing resembling an existence. But slowly, unconsciously, it turned me, and I ended up at least feeling something for them. It wasn't an epiphany or anything, but still, I felt a little tinge of something. That's pretty damn sneaky, and hence well-played.

The only D.O.M. in there left before the movie reached the one-hour point. I guess he got sick of waiting for the screwing to happen.

That made me happy. And I watched the rest of the movie in peace.

Labels: