Wednesday, January 26, 2005

A Scene I Liked

Saw Hotel Rwanda tonight.

If someday I can make a good, solid movie like this, I'd be satisfied even if I dropped dead soon after. I don't need huge blockbusters or Citizen Kanes, I'd be happy with something of this calibre.

Best scene for me:
Don Cheadle has just returned to the hotel after a harrowing experience with an entire streetful of corpses. He changes in the locker room, puts on his tie, finds that he has made the outside length much shorter than the inside. He laughs nervously to himself, undoes it, and tries to retie it. As he is doing it, he fails. His hands just will not do it. The tie is a mess. He stops, pulls it off, rips off his shirt, crashes back into the lockers and sinks onto the floor, sobbing, his head in his hands. There is a knock at the door. He says he'll be out in a second, and not to come in. He can't stop sobbing.

That's a great scene. Again, barely any dialogue. I think you can tell what I like.

Labels: