Friday, September 09, 2005

I Hate Being Sick (Again)

The phrase "you win some, you lose some" never seems more appropriate than now.

Despite a bad song choice, I managed to squeeze through the auditions for a singing competition yesterday.

Judge: There are no levels to your song. It's very one-note, you never bring us high enough.
Me: (thinking I'm a goner for sure) Yes, I know. Unfortunately, that part comes a little later.
Judge: But we'll still let you pass.
Me: Gee, thanks!

However, cosmic karma chose to cripple me with illness right after. At first I thought perhaps it was gastritis again, since I'd skipped lunch, but eating dinner didn't seem to help. While I was waiting with my comrade-in-arms for his turn, I got progressively sicker and sicker. My head was heavy, and I ached all over. Somehow I managed to stumble home, whereupon I collapsed into bed and slept the painful sleep of the damned.

And then of course I woke up an hour ago and couldn't get back to sleep. We bloggers are a sad lot. We can't sleep, we end up blogging, sharing our misery with the faceless masses.

Actually now there's nothing I'd like better than to find a nice cool corner, lie down and communicate with the world via whining. Why do men turn into such babies when they fall sick? I have no idea, but damn, I'd like to do that.

Of course, me being the eternal pessimist, I started to wonder if it could, in fact, be dengue fever. After all, the incubation period's supposed to be within 14 days, and I was definitely a snack for those fucking mosquitoes when I went on a location recce at the end of August. No, scratch that (pardon the pun), more like a buffet as opposed to a snack.

Believe it or not, I used to want to get dengue fever 'cos it'd mean like a month off work. But that was back when I was still going into the office and hating it. And now... it'd be just my luck too, since things are finally going (relatively) the way I'd like them to. Writing from home, getting past the auditions... Hey, he's having the time of his life! Let's throw some dengue fever his way!

If I believed in God I'd be waving my fist at him in one of those useless gestures of impotent rage. Damn you...

Nah, I don't think it's dengue. But it could be. I'll keep you guys updated.

1 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, September 10, 2005, Blogger Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

eh, what singing competition??? Singapore Idol ah?

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home