Sunday, August 28, 2005

I Hate Being Sick

I hate being sick.

Especially since when I fall sick, it's usually complete with a major case of the dripping nose. It just becomes a broken tap, stuck on "on" all the time, and I have to walk around constantly blowing my nose. Then of course it gets all red and puffy and tender from the friction and shit, and makes me feel even worse than I already do.

Then there's that horrible feeling of something stuck somewhere in between my throat and nasal cavity, hovering right above my oesophagus and windpipe. Something that I can't clear no matter how hard I blow my nose, cough, or drink water. I suck on lozenges, one after another, but they don't seem to help.

Then I start popping cold relief tablets like a junkie, and while that dries up the dripping somewhat, in exchange I get the disgusting feeling of blocked nasal passages.

Headaches I can take - just pop some Panadol Extra. Gastritis isn't so bad - just eat something. A sprained ankle - I've had too many of those to count, and I usually bounce back pretty fast. But colds, sniffles and coughs, how I hate them so.

And now I have them again.

I blame Xuanfei. And that jug of tequila sunrise that everyone shared.

Which brings me to another question: Why did no one else fall sick from it?

Perhaps it was also the 20 minutes spent in the Ice Palace at Forbidden City. For S$15, you get to spend as long as you like in a glass enclosed freezer kept at -15 degrees Celsius. You also get a shot of 42 Below vodka, which is rather pleasant. They toss you winter jackets and you walk around the place looking out the glass at other (saner) people enjoying their drinks. And you think: Oh, so this is what the polar bears and penguins at the zoo feel. You also feel pretty silly for getting a cheap thrill out of this.

I guess sleeping late regularly doesn't help.

And neither does the smoking.

Whatever the cause may be, it doesn't change the end result one bit. I'm sick, and I fucking hate it.