Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's a Wrap

It's all over. Principal photography (Ha! That sounds so pretentious) has wrapped on this season.

It seems like not so long ago that I was doing casting on season 2, and now season 3 is in the can, as they say.

It's been a wonderful ride, with a lots of first's for me. First time directing a comedy, first time directing in this company, first time directing real artistes, first time being so involved in a series' conceptualization, first time having a script of mine produced here without feeling it's been torn apart by sharks...

I really have to thank M for giving me a chance, and E for lots of guidance and patience with the script. You guys rock. And of course Michael for letting me tag along, and CY for so generously sharing your scenes. Not to forget the helpful and on-the-ball ADs.

You know, they always claim this kind of thing happens, but I've found it so rare. Where people involved in the show are so enjoying themselves, they don't want it to end. Every day on set or working on the show is so much fun, the cast feels so right together, it's amazing. And when it all ends, for the first time since JC theatre, I feel a sense of loss. I don't know if anyone else does, but I certainly do.

And again, it's so rare in this company that people actually take the time and effort to make sure the end product is something to be proud of. The actors have commented that the scripts are getting better and funnier each season, and the stories are getting deeper and more meaningful - no small feat for a sitcom.

And in terms of actual writing, I can honestly say that we do our best to work different levels of comedy into it. If you're a silly ten year-old, you'll find something to laugh at. If you're a smart 30 year-old, chances are something will be there to tickle your funnybone which will go right over the heads of the kids. If there's one thing we don't believe in, it's talking down to the audience.

Unfortunately, many factors work against us getting a larger audience. First, the show is marketed at the lowest common denominator, and the snooty professionals tend to ignore it, labeling it as crass and silly. Second, while one of the leads may command a big market share in the Chinese language market, we don't know how much of that market is carried over to the English channel. Additionally, he's also not the most highly regarded actor by the better educated.

If only they'll give us a chance, I think they'll like what they find.

I can honestly say that this is the first show I've worked on back home that I've loved. Really. I love this fucking show. Of course there are flaws, but I still love it all the same.

Now there are so many questions hanging over the fate of the series, I don't even dare think about it.

For one, we don't know if we're gonna get renewed. It all depends on ratings, I suppose.

Second, we don't know who's going to be in charge of the next season, if there is one. Something good can always be killed so easily, and there is no better killer of comedy than Palpatine. It'll be dumbed down and given the whole unfunny overacting shtick, and in the blink of an eye, it'll sink. That's a huge problem when the corporation owns the product. It can do whatever the fuck it likes with it.

Third... I don't wanna go on. It just depresses me.

For now, all I can do is look back on this wonderful ride, and cherish the moments that I remember. It wasn't easy, but damn, it was a good time.

And there's still editing to be done, I suppose. Ah, technicalities.

Enjoy.

Lily Happy

Drummer

First Scene

Future Daze

Who's Chicken?

Big Hair

Studio Small

Studio High

Studio Everyone

Dollah Sword

Glenn Rock

Old Timey Kids

Hossan Finger

Massage

Wakey Wakey

Lily Sword

Rooftop

Men On the Roof

Headgear

In the Forest

Nawi Silhouette

Freeze!

Mosquito!

Let Them Go

Golden Scissors

3 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger dark said...

Glad to see this post of yours.
Now at least U can say that there's sth that U liked that U got involved with. :)

 
At 5:07 PM, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This show sux big time man. Lame lines and everything.

 
At 8:20 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger cinewhore said...

Hello, Anonymous Coward. At least have the decency to leave your name, so I can fuck you to your face.

Of course there are lame lines, but what's the percentage of them compared to other local sitcoms? Everything has gone through a strict filtering process, and typically, only stuff which we ourselves find funny is left in. If you've been avoiding it because of preconceived notions, give it a shot. You just might like it.

But then again, maybe I shouldn't bother trying to persuade you. Not when you don't even know how to spell "sucks" properly.

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home