Sunday, January 30, 2005

My Three Choices

On Sunday, for the Eye é City photo thingy, I had to choose three for the final selection out of the thirty-six I submitted that night.

Here are my selections.

Window & Door
Choices

Marshall Road
Marshall Road

Wheelbarrow
Promise

I was also forced to give them pretentious-sounding titles like the ones above.

But the worst thing was that I had to write down what the meaning behind the pictures were. Now, being a veteran of literature and film analysis classes, I have no problem spinning the requisite bullshit. What I have a problem with is forcing the viewer to accept only one viewpoint. Because I took the picture, I am assumed to have absolute authority over it. If I say that this is the meaning behind the picture, I have essentially negated any other readings of it in one fell swoop. This goes against everything I believe in with regards to art and literature.

How can there be only one reading of a work? We should all be free to draw our own associations and interpretations. To be told what to think of something is, quite simply, authoritarian.

But well, I did it anyway. They wanted me to spin, and spin I did. Oh what bullshit I spun. After which I promptly felt disgusted and ashamed of myself. Principles? Bah. Thrown away like cigarette butts.

3 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, January 30, 2005, Blogger Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

hey, i liked the one with the jetty and the clouds! why u din choose dat wan lah?

 
At 7:45 AM, January 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i agree with The Visitor...
Tat's my fav too! the jetty and the clouds!
anyway, congrats! hopefully urs get to the 100 selected ones...
how's kiwi's luck this year?

-ww

 
At 6:50 PM, January 31, 2005, Blogger cinewhore said...

Um. 'Cos I liked these better? The jetty made my top 5, but not top 3...

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home