Monday, February 07, 2005

A Painful Rejection

How can my professional life be going so well and so terribly at the same time?

The good news is that I am to be involved in the conceptualization of a new drama series, and perhaps even write and direct some of it. If you think about it, that's a huge leap from no creative input to an amazing amount of it, and is definitely something to be happy about. Yeah, it's still for mainstream TV, and you can say "sellout" all you want, but at least I'm getting somewhere. Hopefully there'll be a pay raise to match.

As for the bad news... Well, you can read it yourself in the emails I'm reproducing here. I don't really feel like talking that much about it anymore, after writing emails back and forth over the past few days.

On Wednesday night, after my latest shoot wrapped, I received this:

Ref : Pictures On The Wall

Thank you very much for submitting the abovementioned short film. As you know, the regulation for participating in the Singapore Short Film Competition is that the film must not be screened elsewhere.

It has come to our attention that your film has been screened at the Substation before, and unfortunately, this would disqualify your film from the competition.

We thank you again for your keen interest at our Festival and we look forward to see your future productions next year.

Yours sincerely
Joe
Festival Coordinator

I was understandably upset and immediately shot off a bitter and sarcastic email, which in hindsight was probably not the smartest thing to do at the time. I am proud of myself for refraining from any swearing in it though.

I managed to wrangle the email of the festival director from someone, and wrote this shortly after, on Friday morning.

I recently submitted my short film, Pictures On the Wall to the Singapore International Film Festival's Singapore Short Film Competition.

Two days ago, I received an email from Festival Coordinator Joe saying that it had been disqualified from competition because it had screened at First Take at the Substation in December 2004.

I was understandably very upset and disappointed, and let him know in no uncertain terms. Now I am writing to you to appeal this decision, based on the reasons below.

The rules were only released in November 2004, and I sent in my entry in October, one month before that. How can I be expected to know the rules if they hadn't been released at the time?

Furthermore, I cannot be expected to know that these have been the rules "all along". I have been away from Singapore for three years, and prior to these years, had never made a film in Singapore before.

Secondly, The rules state that the film must not have been shown at any festival or event previously. I did not know First Take qualified as an official "event". To me, it seemed like an informal gathering of people to watch some student film. There was no competition involved, no prizes, no critics, nothing. Going by the films that were shown along with mine, it seemed like I'd submitted it to the wrong place, for everyone seemed to be showing their first projects whereas mine was a thesis film. I wanted a little exposure and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Additionally, the usual venue was occupied at the time of the screening in December, so it had to be shown in a tiny room which fit thirty people at the most. Out of these, five of them were my friends who'd already seen the film. What kind of a pathetic reach is that?

With all the time, effort, and money I spent making this half hour short film on 16mm, I cannot just sit by and let it just be seen by twenty people. What is the point of that?

At the end of the day, I would never have submitted it to First Take if I'd known it would be grounds for disqualification from the SIFF.

And finally, a bit about the rule itself.

What is the point of having this rule in the first place? The pool of Singapore-made films is not exactly huge to begin with. Why thin it out even more by implementing this so stringently? If the whole point is to encourage local filmmaking, this runs counter to everything that stands for. How can crushing a work based on a technicality, without even considering its individual merits, be justifiable? Is all the talk about supporting local film just that, talk and nothing else?

The festival programs films from all over the world, many of which have been screened and won awards in international festivals. Why the double standards then, for local short films?

If you can watch the film and consider it for screening, I would be satisfied. I don't even care about the competition. Even if it screens out of competition I'll be more than happy. The bottom line is, please don't deny me a chance to show my work just based on a technicality.

Thank you very much

I got this reply:

we sympathise with you so our suggestion is that we screen it as one of the non-finalists. There are two days at the goethe-inst that we screen all the entries so we can include it there.

hope you are ok with this. please understand that this is the best that we can do.

"We sympathize with you." Ha! He even got my name wrong (I didn't cut-and-paste that portion).

The saga continues:

Does that mean that this is part of the Singapore Film Festival? I mean, will I be able to say "My film was at the SIFF" or is this just a screening of every single entry you received, without any "quality control"?

If there's no "QC" involved, who is going to be watching these? It seems that these screenings then would comprise of friends and family as opposed to people in the film industry. Am I correct in this assumption?

A non-reply from him, still getting my name wrong, and avoiding my main point entirely:

these screenings represent all the entries submitted but they are not the selected ones. They will not be listed in the catalogue.

hope that clears it up for you

Finally, my latest email, written on Saturday morning.


Since you put it that way, isn't this no consolation at all? If every single entry is getting this screening, then you haven't really considered my appeal at all have you?

Like I said before, if every single entry is getting screened at this venue, then the audience will be comprised of friends and families of the entrants, which will do nothing for me in terms of getting my film seen by the "right people" (and all that entails, not to say that I am being elitist or anything, just pragmatic).

All I ask is that you take a look at the film and judge it based on its merits and consider if it is worthy of being in the final selection. I would much rather have you come up to me and tell me straight to my face, "We are not choosing your film because after viewing, we hate it and think it is an absolute piece of crap and a waste of celluloid", because at least that would've meant that you had seen it and thought about it, as opposed to simply dismissing me and brushing me off based on a technicality which is not even my fault.

Would you be willing to at least look at the film and think about it, or is even this gesture out of the question? That's all I need to know.

I don't think there's much hope at all. It just bugs me that even people who are supposedly in the arts and helping local artists are such sticklers for mindless rules and regulations, and when pressed, cannot even justify why these rules exist in the first place.

What pains me the most is that this is happening in my own homeland. Something is very wrong here. Like I said in my first angry email, which I did not reproduce here:


Finally, thank you very much for crushing whatever hope I had of having an encouraging film environment here in Singapore, in my homeland. Should I migrate to make movies, then? You have no idea how angry and disappointed I am right now. I see that filmmaking is subject to the same unbending rules as everything else on this island.

I shall wait. If in the end the answer is still no, then I shall have no choice but to blow the matter up and go after all the press I can get.

Yes, I'm vengeful and petty. If you cross me I will boycott you and do my best to slam you. Perhaps it won't do much for me, besides making me look like a fool. But there's always the slim hope that I might be able to do something to help others like me in the future, if they decide to change the rules based on such negative publicity.

Ah, everyone loves a martyr.

5 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, February 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes mx! Do it! It's so unfair and ridiculous! Many Singaporeans have a thing for mindless, senseless rules and its time to teach them a lesson. -mh

 
At 12:05 PM, February 07, 2005, Blogger Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

stupidity is everywhere. Ho Yuhang's film, Sanctuary, was commissioned for competition at the Pusan Film Fest even before it was completed. and when he went to Finas for money to transfer it to film, he was told the film was "not multi-racial enough" and was just generally of bad quality.

guess what? it just won the Netpac Award for Best Asian Film and got Special Mention by the jury of the Tiger Awards at Rotterdam. it also got a Special Mention at Pusan.

my point is, hang in there, dude. all in good time.

 
At 12:19 PM, February 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh so does that means if ur film has participated or even won something in some major film fests in other parts of the world but u still cant even participate in the smaller-scaled Spore film fest coz u have decided to show it to the rest of the world first though u may even got acknowledged for the good work done?

CRAP! bleah!

i think u shld blow this up like writing to the media like ST forum or Today... but pls check it out wat's the consequences too coz u are sorta in that "circle" too... =)

-ww

 
At 12:29 PM, February 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...haven't you read that the authorities here are functioning like answering machines? They don't give a fuck about you. If they do, be sure it's either they have some implicit agendas or you bring them a fuck-load of money. C'est la vie, dude.

I suppose you'd be better off elsewhere around the world who would at least look at your film. I have read that several films that were rejected in Singapore manage to make a name for themselves elsewhere...take "Birthday" by Bertrand Lee for example.

Inflexibility is the authority's basis for their modus operantdi. Push and shove as you will, but they will not barge. Save your strength and move on. This festival is not everything.

DL

 
At 1:09 PM, February 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a martyr has to lose with dignity, else it'll just be another raving lunatic yelling at the sea haha

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home