Tuesday, September 13, 2005

A Bombshell

My parents dropped a bombshell on me about an hour ago.

It appears that today is their 30th wedding anniversary.

Not that I'm an unfilial son (well, I guess I am, in some ways), but they've never - ever - celebrated it before, at least not while I was around and conscious of the fact. I'm not surprised. If my dad was to be measured on the romance-o-meter, he'd probably rate slightly above a piece of chalk. Even then it'd be a close fight.

However, for reasons unknown to me, they are deciding to celebrate it this year by going out to dinner. Yes, it's still kinda pathetic. Other people go for an around-the-world cruise; my parents will bicker on the way to the restaurant, during the meal, and back.

They told me not to buy any presents. This is somewhat of a relief, for two reasons. First, I have no idea what are appropriate anniversary presents. Second, everything I've given my dad - attache bags, wallets, coats, etc. - has been used maybe five times each and then kept away somewhere to be forgotten about. My mom claims he can't bear to use them, but it pisses me off. What's the point of keeping something useful until it's decomposed and broken into little bits?

Here's a funny fact about their wedding day. My dad's parents had picked an auspicious date in the lunar calendar for the wedding of their firstborn son. It was the 6th day of the 8th lunar month, supposedly a very lucky day for weddings. However, when my mom gave out her invitations to her colleagues, they were horrified.

September 13th, 1975 fell on a Friday.

They held their wedding on Friday the 13th, 30 years ago.

I guess the good luck and bad luck pretty much cancelled each other out. As far as I can tell, it's been pretty blah. Or maybe that's just my perception of things.

Anyway, now I have a problem. I've been asked to pick the restaurant. Which begets the question: Where does one go for a 30th wedding anniversary dinner?

How the fuck should I know? I'm still miles away from having my first anniversary!

I discussed it with my brother just a couple of minutes ago, and he came up with some very unhelpful suggestions.

wzy: Maybe somewhere like Crystal Jade?
wmx: No, too common.
wzy: They like the food at Ajisen.
wmx: Ajisen? Don't be ridiculous. It's just a stupid fast food noodle place.
wzy: Maybe the dim sum buffet at the World Trade Centre?
wmx: Hello? A buffet? That's just wrong. Buffets are a no-no for dates, much less anniversaries.

And so it went. I still have no ideas. Any (useful) suggestions will be helpful.

7 Comments:

At 5:03 AM, September 13, 2005, Blogger dark said...

ur parents are somewhat like mine man. to look at another pt of view dun u find them cute? Personally I do find my parents very cute. buy them presents they keep it aside for termites to eat. ask if eaten, answer will always be yes. how abt hungry? no. haha. as a matter of fact sometimes they juz wan their sons to be around doin things for them, to remind how adorable their sons were when they were toddlers. hhaaha

 
At 10:49 AM, September 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about brewerks?
-qw

 
At 3:03 PM, September 13, 2005, Blogger Remus Lupin said...

I think the point is they want a cozy family dinner.Its not so much the anniversary.Crystal jade has some specialty outlets right?those are classier for an anniversary yet cozy for a family dinner.or maybe something from tung lok?

 
At 4:39 PM, September 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm.. how about fishermen village at pasir ris? romantic dinner by the sea... wait!! are you tagging along? haha.. i havent been there myself but heard its not bad...

 
At 5:27 PM, September 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm.... fishermen not good... expensive and food not that great. I think a restaurant is probably better for a family dinner. Tung Lok's not bad, I quite like the one at orchard tower (or hotel), but that's a buffet... so forget it... why not go to the place where your parents had their wedding? 30 years ago...hmm

 
At 10:21 PM, September 13, 2005, Blogger cinewhore said...

Shy: You know, that's a pretty good idea. Except I didn't read it in time... haha.

Anyway, read the next post to find out where we went.

 
At 3:24 PM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shld have called me mah... i give u lotsa choices... LOL

-ww

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home