Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Farce and Meat

Ah, the perils of having a boss who's a moron. And evil, to boot.

I'd done the first draft of a script and sent it in. She'd liked the outline and the beats before, so there was absolutely no reason for her to dislike too much of this draft, beyond actual lines of dialogue.

She hated the story.

Now, let me ask you, does that make any sense at all? How can you like the outline and the beats, then hate the story? I mean, it's all there.

But she is a person with her brain stuffed halfway up her rectum, so it's not entirely surprising. The cow.

Good thing she didn't know I wrote that (the head writer kept all scripts a secret in terms of who wrote what), or she'd've hated it more.

So I had to completely redo an entire story last week. Sent it in again. In the meeting, a colleague (one of the smart ones) commented, "I like this one. It's very farcical."

Palpatine and Boba Flat of course didn't know what a farce was. But they were adamant that they hated farces, because the term sounded like some high-falutin' type of comedy. So in effect, I wrote a farce, then tried to disguise it by putting in silly, stupid elements that would distract them from the fact that it was, in fact, a farce. But of course that wouldn't fool anyone with any intelligence. It was enough for them though.

The head writer froze at the comment. He knew how fucked I'd be if the Dark Side caught on to the fact that I'd written a farce. He needn't have worried.

"No, it's not a farce," said Palpatine.

"But it is," said the intelligent colleague, perplexed.

"It's not," snapped Palpatine, giving him a withering look that said, "I'm the boss so you'd better shut the hell up and stop talking back. And you're a fool who wouldn't recognize a farce if it bit you in the ass."

The colleague shut up. The head writer breathed a sigh of relief.

But it still came back with about 80% needing changes. Correction, it didn't "need" them. They just wanted changes for the most ridiculous reasons imaginable, and because they were Evil Cows.

So I did them and sent them in again. I haven't heard from them yet. Which I'm not sure is a good thing, since I'm supposed to have a first draft ready by Friday.

In the meantime, I guess I should probably start doing research into my next project, which will hopefully be a dark, depressing drama exploring the underworld. But still, I've spent the most part of a week sitting on my ass already.

Of course that's just in regards to work. When I get the proper motivation for other activities (which happens with rather alarming frequency), I have no problems getting into gear. Such as for an insane barbecue buffet at Brazilian Churrascaria, which sounded like heaven to the carnivore in me.

Dinner Group

Imagine, 12 different cuts of meat, served by waiters who walk around and slice chunks of it onto your plate every few minutes! Unfortunately, it wasn't too long, probably 1 1/2 cycles, before we had to stop or risk bursting our stomachs.

Good thing the waiters were quick with the meats. Kiwi can get scary when he's hungry. See below for evidence from the past.

Hungry Kiwi

Anyhow, during the meal, I rediscovered my knife fetish, which was evident from some time back:

Knife 1

Knife 2

And we caught Qinwei with (gasp!) beer!

Caught!

Somehow I ended up in an empty condominium, taking an imaginary bath. But let's not go there.

Shower Scene

But yeah, not much on the writing front, though there's lots to be done.

It's just real hard to just fuckin' do it. I think a new environment will help. At least, I hope it does. I just don't want to deal with all this bullshit anymore.

Fuck it for now. Tonight I'm going to the newly-reopened Phuture at Zouk. Hopefully it'll be fun.

8 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, November 03, 2005, Blogger Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

oi, sure ur boss not reading this ah?

man, i know exactly how u feel cos i work with a bunch of fucking idiots as well.

not only that, they're a bunch of back-stabbing, bad-mouthing, self-righteous, gossip-mongering idiots.

 
At 1:51 PM, November 03, 2005, Blogger cinewhore said...

Only trusted colleagues (read: The Non-Dark Side ones) have the address of this blog.

And anyway they're not mentioned by name. Are they going to admit to being "Palpatine" or "Boba Flat"? I think not. Ha ha.

Luckily they're a minority, even though they're in power. At least there are people to bitch about them with.

 
At 10:33 PM, November 03, 2005, Blogger Tim said...

That's a truly sad and miserable story you've got there. I commend your patience for being able to put up with it at all.

I've had precisely one run-in with someone trying to convince me to dumb-down something I wrote, and the experience nearly drove me out of film school. So while I can only imagine how agonizing it must be to work with people like that daily, I have all the sympathy in the world.

What doesn't kill us, yada yada. It'll end eventually.

 
At 10:41 PM, November 03, 2005, Blogger cinewhore said...

Thanks, Tim. Unfortunately, I think this kind of thing happens more often than not out there in the "real world". It's really only in school when you're able to do anything you want, within budget.

Unless, of course, you happen to be David Lynch.

 
At 9:19 AM, November 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gosh! is cai in black that day? wohoo! rare!

manhattan fish! the one with the knife... right?

-bored ww

 
At 2:04 PM, November 04, 2005, Blogger Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

btw, that hand-eating pic is cool, and gives new meaning to the word "fisting"!

:D

 
At 3:15 AM, November 05, 2005, Blogger cinewhore said...

ww: If by the one with the knife, you mean the yellowish picture (there are two, you know), then yes.

By the way, anyone wants a fisting? I'll do it for a small fee...

 
At 1:46 PM, November 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes dear... i meant the yellowish pic...

-ww

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home