Thursday, December 15, 2005

An Unnecessary Post

I firmly believe that when someone goes into a movie, he must have realistic expectations of it. For example, if I go into an Adam Sandler movie (God forbid), I know it's pretty much going to be crap (except for Punch-Drunk Love, but that one's mitigated by the presence of P.T. Anderson), and if I'm seeing a Park Chan-Wook film, I expect nothing less than a masterpiece. My expectations for Æon Flux were simply: The hottest woman alive, kicking ass in a skimpy costume. And while the costumes weren't exactly skimpy enough (besides this little number below), everything else met or exceeded my expectations, so I can say that I had a good time.



Apart from the achingly bad dialogue, there was actually an effort at providing an actual story and emotional throughline. I'm not saying that it worked very well, but hey, at least they tried. The action, while obviously not on par with SPL, was sufficiently ass-kicking, especially with aforementioned hottest woman alive doing most of the kicking, and in glorious slow-motion too. See Charlize run! See Charlize climb! See Charlize drop-kick a whole bunch of faceless grunts and shoot them dead!

Of course it wasn't a good movie. It was decent popcorn fodder, and I'm almost ashamed to say that I got rather into it, as a matter of fact. But then, I get that way rather easily. I can be the ideal audience member, wincing and laughing at all the right places, but I also love to heckle, so beware.

The movie raises many issues about identity and the problems with a power regime (are you listening, Uncle Harry?), but in my opinion, it is ultimately about these few Big Questions:

1. Why is it that 400 years in the future, we are still using bullets to shoot the crap out of one another? We've got fancy-schmancy doors that whoosh open in tons of pretty ways, bombs that assemble themselves with a whistle, and we're still blowing each other away with primitive chunks of metal? Where are the lasers?

2. More importantly, as a Big Important Scientist, shouldn't you keep your notes in a hard disk, or CD/DVD, or microchip implanted in your colon, as opposed to writing them down on paper so they can be burned and the ashes scattered such that you can chance upon them, recognize your handwriting and give an anguished scream for maximum dramatic effect? And where the hell do you get paper anyway, when no one else around you uses any?

3. Finally, why am I spending so much time writing about a silly movie like this?