Sunday, January 29, 2006

Coming Up

Lots of things on the front.

If all goes well, my cousin will sign a two-year rental lease for a two-storey house in Townerville on Tuesday. This means that I will finally be able to move out into a space of my own. This also means that I have to ask for a raise and promotion soon, so as to be able to afford rent.

It's a beautiful house, pre-war (World War II), with lots of airflow. It's been refurbished, and looks real nice. It's also close to town, close to an MRT station, and there are lots of buses. I can get home after clubbing for S$5.00! The surroundings are nice and peaceful, very conducive for work. And according to the expert my cousin brought in, it's "clean" in terms of, um, "unwanted company". Which is always important, especially in these old houses. You definitely don't wanna wake up and see someone floating across the ceiling.

So yeah, house parties and movie nights to follow, hopefully. Not forgetting all-night mahjong sessions.

I showed my feature screenplay that I wrote back in 2002 to E, and he suggested I apply for a writing grant for that. It's S$6000 which I could definitely use, plus he said in terms of character and story, I really didn't need to spend that much time on it, so that's not too much work. That's definitely on the cards in the future.

I also asked for advice on how to actually get it made, which is probably the hardest part. It's character-driven, has no hook, and isn't high-concept - which means it's a very hard sell. Oh well, one step at a time, I suppose. He did say it could be made - on film, no less - for half a million. We'll see if I strike the fucking Hongbao Draw for the lottery.

Of course, if I do strike the lottery, first thing I'm doing is buying myself out of this hellhole.

On the last day of shoot, Mark also asked me to write a screenplay based on an idea that he gave. If I do write it, he'll bring it to Jack and get it made. Even though I don't agree with Jack's sensibilities most of the time, a script sold is a script sold. That's also something to mark down for the future, if time permits.

Right now, what do I have to do? Some transcripts, and another screenplay for TV. Possibly some editing too. That should keep me busy for a week or so.

Oh, and it's Lunar New Year too. Happy New Year, folks.

Yessiree, this is shaping up to look like a good year.

Now, if some hot babes are also on the cards, that would be perfect.

5 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, January 29, 2006, Blogger Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

yeah, if you have a chance to sell a script, regardless who the director is or what the nature of the script is, sell it, dude! i'm doing the same right now. it's not selling out; it's getting your foot in the door and putting food on the table!

btw, can join your movie nights ah?

 
At 11:51 PM, January 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey im not quite sure if it's really 'clean-clean'. Like i have highlighted to u via several smses, those units are 'known for certain reasons'. Do check em' out before u decide. Anyways, welcome to the neighbourhood! py

 
At 12:20 AM, February 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, welcome to the neighbourhood MX. we'll try our best not to tell you stories we've heard about that place

 
At 12:38 AM, February 01, 2006, Blogger cinewhore said...

Aargh! But then you mentioned shophouses. These aren't shophouses. So they're safe.

 
At 12:38 AM, February 01, 2006, Blogger cinewhore said...

And visitor: By all means, if you're in town.

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home