Monday, September 27, 2004

This Sounds Like Heaven Right Now...

From the mind and fingers of numero uno:

I wish I could see some finish to the endless days sitting in front of my two best friends and worst enemies (mmm...cliches are fun) - AVID and Final Cut Pro. I am currently in the process of formulating a thesis paper on the metaphysical ramifications of non-linear editing's use of the "in" and "out" in determining what shots are included into a movie. have you felt your life getting cut in and out recently?

Seriously. It really does sound like heaven.

I had a long conversation in a stairwell today with a colleague. She's on a short-term freelance contract, so she kinda has a different mindset from all the fulltime staff I've seen. I snuck a smoke (we're totally not supposed to smoke there, plus I was sick) while we bitched about how disappointing our lives were creatively and how utterly disgusted we were with ourselves for selling out.

Like she said, it's like we've been given a gift - the ability to see things from a different perspective. It's what studying abroad, and especially, studying film, gave us. But we're completely not making use of it at all. We're doing mindless, trivial work that any bugger off the street could do. If we don't get out of it soon, our minds will atrophy. Then we'll be exactly the same as all those old farts that don't even consider the alternatives and simply respond, "No, no, no." all the time because it's the simplest fucking thing to do. Why give anyone a chance? Why do anything risky? Stick to the status quo. We've been doing it for so long, it must be the right way.

Why does there have to be a right or wrong way? Isn't the world, aren't human minds capable of considering both?

It felt good to be out in the open. But all too soon, it was time to head back in. Into the cold (the air conditioning is really freezing). Back to our computer screens with our stupid little Excel worksheets threatening to suck our brains out.

I wish... I wish... I...

I felt nostalgic. Really. It reminded of the past summer, which had been one of the best ever. Of the mornings, afternoons, evenings and nights spent on the ol' porch at 809 Noyes. With a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other, talking about life, about art, about everything we felt passion for. Or not. Knowing that there was more beer, more wine, and another bowl waiting to be packed inside. And the rest of our lives ahead of us.

I wonder if I'll ever be able to relive that. I sure as hell hope so.