Thursday, September 23, 2004

Corporations Are Evil (But You Knew That Already)

Hoo hah. Big shake up in the evil corporate world recently, at least over at my end. The Big Two merged last Friday, and I guess I should be glad that we're the ones taking them in like some huge amoeba wrapping itself around its dinner. But then again it's really sad, since I always thought they were the ones with more innovative programming, who were more willing to take a chance on cool concepts. In an ideal world, making cool and awesome shows like adapting Shakespeare to Singapore TV would be embraced and much-loved, but unfortunately Singapore viewers apparently have as much depth as a yapping chihuahua. Thus its demise.

Our big CEO of CEO's had a "townhall meeting" (lame... why not simply "general meeting", or "meeting"?) yesterday. I, for one, was thoroughly disgusted. He repeatedly hammered across the fact that what was most important to him was profits. He had visited the "other side", and they had told him they felt he was very "commercial". He wore it like a badge of honor. In fact, he put them down for not thinking of the bottom line first, and putting expression before profits. Now I know we're all corporations, and hence must be keeping that in mind, but I'd like to think that a balance should be struck whenever possible. If you keep on putting out stuff for the lowest common denominator, anyone with half a brain is going to get turned off (i.e., me) and stop watching TV forever. And so what'll happen when your core audience, the older people, die off? You have no more viewers.

Of course, pronouncing "category" as "ca-TEH-gory" didn't endear him to me at all. Jesus fucking Christ. It's not that hard.

He also repeated that he wanted people to be loyal to the organization and not him. Hmm, somehow I don't see either one being on the horizon for me anytime soon... First, I have never been "loyal" to any organization, unless I was a member of the board or something. Otherwise, why should I have any personal stake in it? Secondly, loyalty cannot be asked for, it has to be voluntarily given, reciprocated, so to speak. If you haven't given me anything worth a damn, why the fuck should I be willing to lay down whatever it is you want me to lay down for you? You don't pay me enough, I don't feel like I'm having a great creative time, so why the fuck should I be grateful? I know you're probably getting tons of money, and even you will be ready to drop everything and head off at the drop of a hat should someone offer you more. So who are you to tell me this? Motherfucker.

Anyway, it all took way too long because the morons who gave him a list of questions sent by email neglected to read through them and combine all those that were similar... and it's amazing how so many people can ask the same two questions over and over again, and more amazing how he can answer the same two fucking questions over and over again. It also surprised me how evil and petty some of the letter were, directed against the "other side". It's not a personal vendetta, people. It's just business.

The well-worn corporate cliches didn't help too. Running a marathon/long race, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, puh-leeze. My grandmother could do better in her sleep. And looking around, I didn't see many people fidgeting and falling asleep like me. No, I saw a good portion of the crowd nodding along to what he was saying, applauding at certain points, and even laughing at his lame-ass attempts at humor. These are the people I'm working with? How absolutely mind-blowingly depressing. Fuck you all.

I hate corporations. They're simply pure evil. I didn't realize how much I'd sold out until now.

At the end of it all, I actually felt dirty. I wanted to jump into a shower and wash all the bullshit off me.

Imagine how I would feel at a George W. Bush rally.

2 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, September 24, 2004, Blogger Miguel said...

Imagine how I would feel at a lactose convention. Pretty bad.

Hope all is well Mi--, I put your sai's to good use to dig up a new roommate for the Noyes apt, with one proudly bent due to our best drunken efforts. And speaking of corporations, they are awful and beautiful at the same time. And when I say beautiful, I'm really referring to new-wonderful-green-couch-beauty from IKEA. Ikea's a non-american corporation for sure, but I still feel a chilly evil emanating from every too-clean nook and cranny in that blue and yellow building. But not from my couch.

 
At 8:40 PM, September 24, 2004, Blogger cinewhore said...

I wish you joy and many, many drunken nights of revelry in your new apartment...

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home