Thursday, November 18, 2004

The 6 a.m. Post

So it's almost 6 a.m., and I've been up since 4.30 or so. I don't really know why, I just kinda rolled over and woke up and thought, "Maybe I should try getting my laptop hooked up to the internet". It turned out to be more of a bitch than I thought, even though I'd finally found the software for it, but a couple of phone calls later to my brother (don't ask me why he was still awake, I have no idea), I seem to have succeeded.

Which is a good thing, since I suspect that my PC only wants to work on Tuesdays. I'm relying more on memory than anything here, but that seems about right, even though it's completely bizarre. Anyone know of a virus that does that?

My homepage is still the NU HereAndNow page. Awww, how sweet.

Birth
dir. Jonathan Glazer
stars Nicole Kidman, Cameron Bright, Anne Heche (yep, Ellen's ex)
Ornamental.

I still have stuff to say about it though, so I will. In nice little bullet points, so you don't get bored.
  • Nicole Kidman - great.
  • Cinematography - Harris Savides, excellent job. Nice tracking shots and steadicam, reminiscent of his own work in Elephant. It looks very pretty, and I almost wanted to use "stately" as my One Word, but decided it was overused.
  • Editing - Nice and well paced-out. Adheres pretty much to "cut only when necessary" rule, which is awesome. Over-cut movies bother me to no end. This had nice long takes that showcase the talent to their max.
  • Directing - Overall nice and subtle, which I like. At least he's brave enough to just stay on his actors and let them do all the work. Dialogue is minimal, and I'm happy he trusts his audience enough.
  • Pity about the writing. It's as if the writers wrote themselves into a corner; they got an interesting premise, and didn't really really know what to do with it, finally going, "Ah, whatever!" and settling on an abyssmal ending. If the twist in The Sixth Sense made you go, "Oh, fuck me", this'll make you go, "No, fuck you".

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:06 AM, November 20, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I study from 2pm to 6am everyday. You can call me at 5 and I'll probably still be awake. Does that answer your question? (It's 5:05am now!)

I'm gonna pig out abit and turn in early today. I have so got to get my biological clock ticking back normally. Or I'll just die when exams are over.

ZY

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home