Saturday, November 27, 2004

The Big R

Yesterday there was a mini-crisis (kinda) at work, and I had to do something I thought I'd never have to do again: write a college application essay.

Well, something very similar to an application essay anyway. See, the kid actor in my sitcom was trying to get into this premier secondary school, Raffles Institution (R.I.). Which is all well and good, except that apparently his grades placed him at the borderline of the application threshold, and he needed a little nudge to get a secure place.

(Side note: Personally, I have not liked R.I. nor any of the Raffles-named schools since forever. There are several reasons, foremost of which is the over-emphasis Singaporeans place on these "brand-name" schools. It's as if the moment a child is accepted into these schools, they will be assured of a future paved with fame and fortune and All That Is Good. It's like someone having that distasteful desire for those ugly-ass Louis Vuitton bags. Of course LV has decent-looking ones too, but even the ugly ones are snapped up like hotcakes by these undiscerning consumer whores, just like anyone from these schools is automatically elevated in the eyes of the common public. Secondly, at the high school level, these are single-gender schools, which to me is quite fucked up. They only breed sexual frustration and the desire to jump on any member of the opposite sex that walks by. Another is the fact that there are too many places and things named after Raffles already. Come on, people, he was a fucking businessman, for crying out loud. He was just here to make some money, and we're elevating him to the status of a fucking god.)

Anyhow, I was saddled with the task of providing said nudge, in the form of a testimonial which was to be signed off by the production manager. So after about twenty minutes thinking of good phrases, I started piecing the whole thing together. It didn't take as long as I thought it would, I got through it in about half an hour. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's bullshitting, as proven by this blog. Basically I just had to imagine the perfect twelve year-old and describe him, and apparently the letter was deemed rather impressive. Hopefully it'll get him where he wants to be.

What is it with child actors and Raffles Institution anyway?

That reminds me of a conversation I had with my mother regarding one of my little cousins. Apparently her mother wanted her to apply to Raffles Girls', but she seemed to favor more "Chinese" schools like Anglican High and Dunman High instead, where her friends were going. Being a veteran of one of these fine institutions (dripping with sarcasm, of course), I shuddered at the thought. Not that I wanted to push someone else into a Raffles-named school, but somehow it seemed that they, or at least the more "English" schools at least were more concerned about promoting independent thought. In fact, Angeline and I have agreed that we count ourselves lucky we weren't more fucked up by our high school, which seemed intent on mass-producing the perfect Singaporean drone.

We don't need more drones, more blind followers of authority. We need people who have the ability and the urge to question everyone and everything. Nothing should be taken at face value, especially not in the world we live in today. Everyone lies. The news lies. Corporations lie. Authority figures lie. It's a matter of course now. You have to learn to see through the bullshit. And the best way to see through that is to cultivate the habit of questioning. Parents can and will fail you. The same goes for teachers and all other authority figures, especially politicians. And kids have to learn that fast. To wait until they enter the real world is to throw them into the deep end of the pool without a life preserver and watch them sink or swim.

If this means herding kids to these goddamned elitist institutions, so be it. They could do worse.

Singapore needs to change its educational system fast. Or I'm fuckin' home-schooling my kid in the future.

9 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, November 27, 2004, Blogger Angeline said...

And I quote myself: We turned out well adjusted despite the 4 years of mess but who's to say we couldn't have been more exciting and kick buck if we were to go to the Raffles family.

I must confess I went to our high school because I din want an all female environment. Years on, now looking back, I think sense should have supersede sex. Damn. Too late.

Made too many wrong choices in just 20 odd years.

ps: i keep getting mistaken for a convent girl (all stereotypes apply!!) whenever new people attempt to bond over schooling history, and never a droopy dumanian. why, why, why!! i blame it on the high school, whom failing to develop me from a particular and conservative mould, ironically succeeded in making me into an image they most dread.

pps: the 4A geraldine and i agreed dunman is out to flourish mediocrity in one in a wholly wholesome manner. they never intend to make us into leaders, we were expected to play good supporting roles to leaders. like yucks. i'm narcissistic, i hate being supporting and subordinate!

 
At 11:05 PM, November 27, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree.

Given another chance, I will choose Dunman again. Not eloquent in expressing why this is so like the two of you had, in writing (aha! a prime example of why chinese schs are bad for kids. u loose ur sense of expression.). But I shall look forward to the day the three of us meet again for our orgy and engage (if time permits) again on this debate.

Because, there is no reason to prefer one type of sch over another. based on the claims that I heard from the owner of this blog yesterday. and certainly, it is surely not a reason to imply that they are fucked up schs. You will get fucked up in other ways if you join the Rs, if, you are truly already fucked up.

meihui

 
At 11:27 PM, November 27, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do not be alarmed dear blog readers, I may sound pissed with this person but he has that effect on me all the time. we still love each other very much.

*kicks sand on shoe* friend...

meihui

 
At 6:26 PM, November 28, 2004, Blogger jingli K said...

RI is the eptitome of all-round educational excellence. Most of them are confident young lads, expressive and vocal, play a whole lot of different sports, smokes, tasted drugs, really smart. Yea, i'm talking about 'all round'.No spoon-feeding at all really. Academic excellence at the same time enjoying school life. Most of them. RI just rocks. Period.
Which is why i dun understand abt this whole school bullshit. Sure i'm damm proud of my school. But if I did go to another school say ACS or Victoria or yes, Dunman High( i'll probably do much better there ), I'll probably love it too. It's the environment that changes the person. The friends, the gossip and common topics. You must experience it for yourself.
Try loving your dunman high dude.

 
At 7:04 PM, November 28, 2004, Blogger cinewhore said...

In my mind I split DHS into two separate realms, if you will. The first is the academic realm, which consists of teaching, learning, teachers, etc. The second is the social realm, which consists of the friends, the company, bonding, etc.

Make no mistake, I have no complaints about the second. Many of my best friends now are from that period. So how can I complain?

It's the first realm that bothers me. From the ridiculous rules to the very way the subjects were taught, it was just very restrictive and uninvolving. Of course there were some teachers who were better than others, but they were the sole bright lights in an environment that seeked to dim and dull everything down.

To me, I think one can always make friends wherever you go. The primary function of a school is to provide the first realm. And DHS, in my opinion, has failed, and is constantly failing to provide a positive enviroment for that.

I guess you can call our relationship a love-hate relationship then, as cliched as that sounds.

 
At 7:48 PM, November 28, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

from how I remember it, the ridiculous sch rules never seemed to bother you while you were in sch. right? Tell me one ridiculous rule that had bothered you while you were there. cos if it didnt bother you then, what is the point of being bothered by it now?

on the flip side, i was and still am quite amused by the rules. ridiculous, yes. amusing, definitely. since I was never really a 'hip' student (eg. no desire to make my skirt as short as I can, no BGR (boohoo! no one wants me.), no desire to leave my fringe long), i never really cared. I think u belonged to my side too (non-hip, haha), so how did these rules actually oppressed you? nvm...

n yes, I think the Rs has done a great job in letting their kids develope into fully confident, vocal, independent adults. But are you not one just because you came from Dunman? Becasue the lessons you had were taught in such a way that they suck out all these qualities from our very souls? surely not. the grass is always greener on the other side lah. but if your claim is that they teach lessons in a better way, how do you know? it will be fairer to pass such a judgement if you had actually spend some yrs at RI n then at DHS first.

aiyah, i think you have ur point but dun put down ur old sch like that lah.

 
At 1:15 AM, November 29, 2004, Blogger cinewhore said...

Well, I can think of some examples that I was bothered by, definitely, when I was there. Like the ones about fringe length (I was always trying to get around that one by using huge amounts of super-hold gel), the color and style of your watch, the parting of your hair, etc. Maybe it's one of the reasons I stopped wearing a watch altogether, as a form of silent protest. (Or maybe I stopped wearing a watch in JC after I got a pager. I don't exactly remember) But what gets me about all these rules is that they utterly pointless in and of themselves. All they breed is a monotonous conformity and a sense that self-expression is bad.

And maybe it's generalizing, but it does seem to strike me that there is a significant difference in the behavior, self confidence, etc. of the "Western" schooled as opposed to the "Eastern" schooled. The difference does not seem to be as marked at the JC level, but more at the secondary school level. Not having gone through an "R-secondary" experience, I can only guess it's the entire environment that's the cause of this, and the basic philosophy that drives the school. I think I can safely say that the "traditional Asian values" that the "Eastern" schools fall back on are conservative and advocate conformity, whereas the opposite side advocates expression of individuality. On one end you have people taught how to be a part of the well-oiled machinery and fit in well, on the other end you have people taught that they should rise above that.

And the difference in the trains of thought didn't really hit me until I went to college, where I experienced first-hand what it meant to actually have an opinion and not be afraid to voice it. All along, it had been "keep your ideas to yourself, you don't want to look stupid. You don't want to draw attention to yourself", and suddenly it became "I have the right to have an opinion as much as anyone else, and I have the right to be heard".

And it's true. Go to any mainstream Singapore school, and you'll find the "best class" full of people who sit silently copying their notes without making a single peep. They listen, they go home, they study, they get good grades. It works well in their lives so far. But will it work forever?

 
At 1:17 AM, November 29, 2004, Blogger cinewhore said...

And hey, don't we criticize because we care about something and we actually give a shit?

 
At 10:08 AM, November 29, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok shall use my lousy english to add some opinions of mine... pls bear with me...

first... i never liked my sec sch... Anglican High... coz there's nothing for me to be proud of...FYI, tat sch did not ever produced any ministers or even MPs... think the most famous ones is moses lim. oh well... really dun understand how it got its SAP sch status, think the only proud thing they had is they din bottom the SAP sch list, by winning Maris Stella by one position... i think i only woke up when i went TJC... i doubt i rem much abt my sec sch days now... which is rather sad... if u wanna tok abt ridiculous rules? we had a set of them as well, as ridiculous as those in DHS... ranging fr no long hair (but now they abolished it after i left the sch for 1 year, liew!), to wat u wear under ur skirt! *rolled eyes* basically, i dun miss the sch at all! i miss my pri and JC more...

2nd... The R's... they are really proud to be a rafflesian... they take pride in almost everything, they enjoyed the every single moment in that sch... totally agreed with wat JingLi had said... they are such good brainers that they can enjoy both good grades and all the fun... the all-rounders.... all these are based on observations i have made fr GH and his R's frens... i dun really rem him bitching abt his sch, be it the sch policies or rules... NEVER... wat made a good school? sometimes i really wondered...

but something i must really say, that difference in our environments really do cause a strain in our thinking and personality... the kinda experiences and topics between the R's and the non-R's somehow diff quite a bit. maybe i'm the shallow one... but there are exceptions as well... its juz so weird when u realised that u scored much better in A maths and C maths than a RI/RJ boy... u felt so good... oh well, i did. how weird...

shucks, times up, thanks for bearing with my shallowness...
i need to go back to work my ass off.... sianz...

-ww

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home