Friday, December 03, 2004

Crunch Time

It's been a whirl of activity at work lately, as crunch time approaches. We start shooting the next batch of episodes next Friday, so I need to have the cast ready by then. If not, well, it won't be pretty.

So the last few days have been the complete opposite of the couple of weeks before. Instead of spending hours staring at my computer and surfing the web, I now have to make phone calls all over the place and update lists and Excel spreadsheets up the wazoo. Script meetings, getting people to come in for auditions, trying to get celeb guest stars, calling up old friends and friends of friends to offer them parts that I can't trust an extra with but are not worth auditioning or hard to audition for... Just stuff, mostly. At this point I'm more concerned with filling up the cast list than anything, and it doesn't help that one of the scripts has to be completely rewritten from scratch, which means there's a whole new set of characters that I don't even know of.

I haven't gone to the movies in over a week, and I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms. I linger on movie review sites, look at showtimes in the papers way too often, and make up lists of movies I have to see and movies I wouldn't mind seeing. As of now, only Alexander and Look At Me are on my must-see list. My don't-mind list includes Bridget Jones, Shutter, The Polar Express, After the Sunset and Christmas With the Kranks. Yeah, I know, all the commercial, critically-panned ones. That's why I wouldn't care if I saw them or not. I'm excited for Alexander though, because Oliver Stone is a guy who knows what he's doing... most of the time anyway. I still get tingles when I think about Any Given Sunday, whatever The Onion may say about it. If Alexander's half as good, it should be a decent movie.

I've also been spending way too much on Ebay, trying to snap up all the engineered jeans I could find after I realized they just weren't being sold in Singapore any more. Five pairs of jeans in less than a week, with bids of up to US$50++, adds up to one rapidly depleting bank account. What a fashion whore I am.