Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Fourth New Year Post (Or, What Was Good)

Bitching aside, I also know to count my blessings, so I'm glad that this Chinese New Year didn't completely suck. And it's for the following reasons:

The little sneak-off with my cousin for smokes and beer on Day One. I smoked, we both drank - what kind of monster do you think I am? I wouldn't make him smoke...

Rong
I do have a picture with the both of us, but we both look horrible in it, so it shall not see the light of day.

Constantine on the night of Day One with these two fine folks and others.

Weixuan pool

Scary Face Pool
Scary-looking dude, huh? Reminds me of the Vibrating Man in Jacob's Ladder. Anyway these are old pictures, taken when we went drinking and pool-playing a couple of weeks ago.

But yeah, Constantine was surprisingly good. I don't care what anyone else says. I like it a lot, and that's good enough for me. I was just happy that it felt rather Vertigo-ish and was really quite cool and moody. I hadn't read any of the comics beforehand, but my brother passed me a couple of Hellblazer collections later, and they were a good read. And after reading, it seemed the movie had stayed pretty faithful to the spirit of the books.

While searching for links, I realized Constantine hadn't been released in the States yet. That's pretty cool, finally we get something first.

Now the next big comic book movie I'm awaiting with baited breath is Batman Begins. I hope Chris Nolan doesn't fuck it up. It opens on my birthday, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a cool birthday present instead of a lame-ass one.

A chat at Bugis on the afternoon of Day Two was also good. I guess it just feels good to talk about stuff that bothers you in general.

Day Two also brought with it a late-night mahjong session which was a lot of fun. Thanks to my uncle and aunt for putting up with us. Even though most of us lost money, it was still a great time, and I was happy to give up some cash in exchange for that.

Day Three was spent in recovery. Which was also good.

Day Four brought with it my maternal grandma's birthday lunch. The food was good, which is always a relief. The company was OK, at least the more annoying relatives weren't there.

Granma
Here's the birthday girl, looking kinda bored.

Fa Cai
Here's my wet napkin pack. It says "get rich" or something to the effect. I hope it works.

After that came shopping and more mahjong. I bought some useless but cool-looking (I hope) shit, and won a bit of cash, so it was pretty decent, I guess. The sucky part: driving people home, bleary-eyed, at 4-fucking-am.

KOF
I zoned out while my friends played this game after mahjong.

High Angle Me
And here's the aforementioned zoning-out. Hmm. The white-balancing seems a bit off.

The Valentine's Day Non-Date was also good, but you know that already.

Finally, I got a gig today doing voiceover work for this. A bit of extra cash always comes in handy, especially after buying the bloody plane tickets to the States.

3 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, February 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that pic looked better on ur cam screen isnt it?

-ww

 
At 10:37 AM, February 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i like the pic you took of your grandma... tells a thousand words. well, at least for me

 
At 10:40 PM, February 16, 2005, Blogger cinewhore said...

See, when you're a photographer, I think that pictures of old people and children are kinda cheating. It's so easy, they're already naturally interesting subjects, and you don't need to do any work.

 

gimme some mindfuckery

<< Home